Yes, millions of adults over 65 fall each year.
- More than 25% of adults over 65 fall each year, but less than half tell their doctor
- Falling once doubles a patient’s chances of falling again
- One out of five falls causes a serious injury
- Falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries
- More than 95% of hip fractures are caused by falling
- 25% of older adults who fracture a hip from a fall will die within 6 months
- Medical costs for falls total more than $50 billion per year with Medicare and Medicaid paying about 75% of these costs.